This butternut and cilantro soup is warm and delicious during this cold weather! You can create a butternut soup in so many ways with rosemary for example but this spicy version is different and very good.
I have some snow here in Pennsylvania and I really like it! We are now in December and Christmas will be here in a very short time. Because it’s very cold outside, I like to have soup for dinner, it’s light, hot and delicious. Butternut soup is one of my favorites! I tried some bought version but I didn’t like them. And it’s stupid because it’s so simple to make it by yourself! First, the taste is better, second, it’s cheaper and finally, you can customize it as you want.
Butternut is very sweet squash, I think it’s one of my favorites. I also like it roasted in the oven! I made several soups with butternut these last weeks. I made rosemary and thyme butternut soup, creamy coconut, butternut, and sweet potatoes but today, I tried something a bit spicy.
It’s very simple to make this soup but I will give you one piece of advice. The hardest thing in this soup is to cut the butternut. Squash can be big and hard to cut. Try to use a bread knife, the teeth of the knife gonna help. I also advise you to use plastic gloves. When you will cut the butternut, you will have some pieces in the hands and you will end up with an orange thing on your hands which is then difficult to make go (unless you really rub hard). Apart from all that, this soup is achievable in just 30 minutes!
You can maybe serve it like a starter dring you’re Christmas dinner! Let me know what do you think of this soup. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @tastyandfrenchy if you make this soup.Print
- 1 medium butternut
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 bunch of coriander, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream (optional)
- Remove the skin with a peeler, deseed and cut in big squares your butternut.
- Heat a big saucepan, add the olive oil and the onion when it starts the be translucid, add the garlic and the spices with the chili powder, ground cumin, and paprika. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the butternut pieces and sauté, mix with the spices, garlic, and onion. Then, cover with water and let it cook for 15-20 minutes, the butternut pieces have to be tender.
- Turn off the heat and add the cilantro (keep some for to add on the top of your soup), with a hand blender, blend the soup until it’s creamy and well blended.
- Serve in a bowl with if you want some sour cream on the top and some coriander. You can keep it in a jar for 2 days.