Chocolate lava cake is a classic of French desserts. You can find it in all good French restaurants. However, the best will be the one that would have made yourself and that comes out of the oven accompanied by a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You only need 6 simple ingredients!
My heart melts every time I open this little chocolate lava cake and it comes out of it delicious chocolate melting. It’s my favorite dessert. In reality, I don’t see it as a dessert but as a sweet pleasure that I like to make from time to time on weekends. The advantage of this recipe is it is for 4 serves and you can divide it in two. So I often make two chocolate lava cake: one for me and one for my husband (or sometimes also for me).
We’re used to having fun with a cheat meal on Saturday nights. Sometimes we like to make pizza, French fries, burgers (but I just prefer a good plate of French fries). But there’s my favorite: the chocolate lava cake. I prepare it at the last moment, I put it in the oven to be ready for our Saturday night film. I put it in a small bowl and I add delicious vanilla ice cream that I buy at Berkey Creamery near Penn State University. Their ice cream is wonderful, especially their vanilla ice cream. That’s all. Sometimes I accompany it with red fruit like raspberries or strawberries. I often only eat this. I’m trying to make it a little bigger, but it’s a real gourmet moment.
Anyway, chocolate and I is a great love story. Apparently, the French are known to love chocolate. I talked to one of my clients who specializes in drinking cocoa. He told me that the French are the biggest chocolate eaters! And that doesn’t surprise me. There are so many chocolates in France. I recognize that it is a bit expensive, but the pleasure is there. In fact, in my future projects, I want to start making homemade chocolate. It seems perilous, but I want to try.
All this makes me want to make a chocolate lava cake by watching the movie Chocolat! I think I will organize this for this weekend. The blog is still quite new and I haven’t shared with you all my chocolate recipes yet, but it wouldn’t be long. You should however test my recipe for French chocolate cake or Marbré cake.Print
My favorite chocolat dessert, 6 ingredients and pure pleasure!
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, good quality preferably in bar and not chips*
- 1 stick butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp dark cocoa powder**
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp flour
- Pre-heat the oven at 400°F
- Melt the chocolate with the butter in a “bain marie” or microwave. If you are using the microwave, do 30 second sessions by mixing each time. Mix to obtain a homogeneous mixture.
- In another bowl, vigorously mix the sugar with the eggs. This should form a little foam and start to bleach, without it becoming white. Pour the chocolate into it and mix with a spatula. Add cocoa powder, flour and salt. Mix.
- Butter 4 small ramekins, add some cocoa powder to the sides. Tap out the excess cocoa powder. Pour the cake mixture into the ramekins and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes.
- I usually remove form the mold them immediately because I don’t want to wait, but you can wait five minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream and red berries.
*The quality of your chocolate is essential for a this cake. Sometimes you have to pay a little more for good products.
**I use Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa powder